Saturday, March 14, 2009

Pastor And Famous Author John Maxwell Arrested For "Packing Heat!"

You Have To Appreciate Leadership Guru Pastor John Maxwell's Explanation Of His Arrest For Having A Concealed Weapon As Detected By Airport Security...

Quotes from http://johnmaxwellonleadership.com/

"My friends used to call me Mr. Magoo. For those of you a little younger, they have also called me Forrest Gump.

Well, off I went to the airport in full Mr. Magoo mode. In security, I put my carry-on bag on the conveyer belt and didn’t think anything of it (it = a hand gun). Truly, it’s one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done.

You can probably guess the rest. I was arrested, handcuffed, and taken to jail, where I was fingerprinted and photographed. Needless to say, it opened my eyes to a world I’d seen only in the movies. I was glad when I posted bail and was able to leave.

I said this post would be of a personal nature, but there is still a leadership lesson to be learned from it. First, take responsibility for your own actions. What I did was wrong, and it was my fault. I certainly didn’t intend to break the law, but I will face up to the consequences.

The second lesson, to use the words of my friend Kevin Myers, is this: “Stupid hurts.” If you’re not paying attention and you do something stupid, it’s going to hurt you.

In the end, I just hope my mistake isn’t going to hurt anybody but me."

No comments: